Learn More About Us

My photo
God has impressed on our hearts to share what we learn from His Word as we face the issues of everyday life. We hope that the points of view of a teenager and a 50-something mom will be valuable to you. Our study will not follow a rigid schedule so that you can pop in and out and still discover a little more joy, faith, love, and peace. We don't claim to be experts. We will all be learning together. We are so excited to start this journey, and we hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vicki's Favorite - Whatsoever things are lovely!

My turn!  For the past several years, Phillipians 4:8 has been my favorite verse, NOT because I accomplish it but because I know that I so desperately need to live by it.  I learned it in King James and find that it translates in a lovely poetic way ... "Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." 

My mind is a battleground.  I struggle with many different issues, all of which swirl around in my thoughts and finally spill out as stress.  If I could embrace this verse, live it, I'm convinced my life would be more peaceful, more joyful, more true and lovely.  And that, I believe, would result in drawing more people to God.  I think I will accept my own challenge and for the next week try to keep this verse in my heart and in my line of sight and see if I can chase the negative thoughts away to make room for all things pure and lovely and honest and true.  I love to check out the translation in The Message Bible for a fresh perspective, and so I would love to share that with you also:

 "Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious -- the best, not the worst, the beautiful, not the ugly, things to praise, not things to curse."

There are so many things to share about this passage of scripture and I may add another post on this same subject.  We would love to hear your thoughts on this verse, or we would love to hear which verses are meaningful to you in this life.  Thank you all for participating with us, and I pray for blessings on all of you!
- Vicki -

1 comment:

  1. "...chase the negative thoughts away to make room for all things pure and lovely and honest and true." I love that! I've been thinking about thoughts a lot lately, (haha), and how every beautiful, glorious thought or image or feeling, anything showing us good, is really a reflection of who God is and ultimately, who we all are in Him. <3 All of God's beautiful creation is pointing us directly to Him.
    Powerful verse, thanks for sharing it! :-) God bless you too!

    ReplyDelete